Bit of a dilemma

nick...

Member
Arable Farmer
Location
south norfolk
Ok all my winter barley and wheat only had half dose of nitrogen.barley currently around 8 inches tall and the stem is starting to fatten up for ear emergence.agronomist advises to get rest of nitram on but having had no rain for 5 weeks it’s pretty dry.still getting a good dew in mornings but still bitterly cold and possibility of rain later in week then getting warm after next weekend according to forecast.do I do it and hope rain comes or hang back.really not sure what to do.I’m in south norfolk on ,medium land and there is moisture under the surface.
nick...
 

Brisel

Member
Arable Farmer
Location
North Yorkshire
I've had a similar dilemma. All the N has been done on winter feed barley a while ago & we've just finished the final N on feed wheats. Only spring cereals to do the final dose on & I plan to do those when they have tillered.

I had 3mm 10 days ago, so anything applied before that has been washed in ok. Since then the prills are just sat on top but we should get some kind of precipitation this week. I doubt it will be enough to see crops through but it should at least wash the prills in. I aim to finish winter crop N programmes in April. In May, it will just get warmer and the days are longer so I'm optimistic that the N will get taken up. JFDI!
 

Zippy768

Member
Mixed Farmer
Location
Dorset/Wilts
Agrobomist says leave it. I say fert was bought well and grain price is high. On it goes. At worst it will turn to protein or be there for the next crop.
Your agronomist suggested not putting ur last dose on? Because of potential (lack of) or just lack of washing in rain?
 

teslacoils

Member
Location
Lincolnshire
Your agronomist suggested not putting ur last dose on? Because of potential (lack of) or just lack of washing in rain?
Lack of rain in part, and good dose on so far. Potential there. Just need to see some rain on the horizon.

Tbh.....I'm going to put a bit on anyway. Last dose was digestate and I've a few misses to top up.

Concern I suppose that a warm, wet week would see it go too mental? I think less issue of this from urea tbh.
 

Brisel

Member
Arable Farmer
Location
North Yorkshire
And what do us urea users do.....? (Tho I do have just enough AN to finish ww)
Since you're in the land of milk and honey (so I was told!), you'll have enough crop canopy to shield the urea granules from the worst of the sun. If you have rain forecast, I'd look to apply it in front of that.
 

Jon

Member
Location
South Norfolk
Ok all my winter barley and wheat only had half dose of nitrogen.barley currently around 8 inches tall and the stem is starting to fatten up for ear emergence.agronomist advises to get rest of nitram on but having had no rain for 5 weeks it’s pretty dry.still getting a good dew in mornings but still bitterly cold and possibility of rain later in week then getting warm after next weekend according to forecast.do I do it and hope rain comes or hang back.really not sure what to do.I’m in south norfolk on ,medium land and there is moisture under the surface.
nick...
Get it on.
Miss Rizzini says it's going to be wet on Friday.
 

Wombat

Member
Location
East yorks
Get it on, we had 150kg on the wheats before by late March and the rest on last week, all but 25 acres of spring barley has had everything and it just needs its last 40kg

Won’t grow with it in the bag
 

Rejuvenating swards: Which option is best?

  • 450
  • 0


Written by Brian McDonnell

Maintaining grass quality during mid-season grazing is important. Farmers can maintain quality by entering ideal grazing covers of 1,300 – 1,500kg DM/ha, and grazing down to a residual of 4cm every rotation.

If you are now in a situation where cows are not cleaning out paddocks as well as they should be, leading to the development of steamy grass within the sward, here are some options.

Common options for rejuvenating swards include:

  1. Take a silage cut, probably into bales, remove the material and start again with the aftermath...
Top