Can The UK Grow Enough Wheat To Make All Its Own Bread?

Hedger

Member
You can buy a table top flour mill and find out for yourself. From experience a little bit of wheat goes a very long way.

But in answer to your question, I think we easily grow enough, it's just the flour millers like to import lots to oversupply the market and keep the price down. It's bugger all to do with quality, a considerable amount of "feed" wheat went to make bread flour in 2007 and you didn't hear many consumers complaining about that.
Take your tinfoil hat off please.

Nothing to do with wanting to import wheat to create oversupply. The UK milling industry uses 85% domestic wheat with the other 15% largely coming from Canada and Germany for particular products which cannot be produced using UK wheat.

What's your experience of producing flour on an industrial scale?
 

Humble Village Farmer

Member
NFFN Member
Location
Cb97ej
Take your tinfoil hat off please.

Nothing to do with wanting to import wheat to create oversupply. The UK milling industry uses 85% domestic wheat with the other 15% largely coming from Canada and Germany for particular products which cannot be produced using UK wheat.

What's your experience of producing flour on an industrial scale?
Particular products.
 
As i understood it, to make high grade bread, the UK has to import a large tonnage of a wheat variety the UK cannot grow, canada being one source? or am i wrong, reason i ask this, is even during ww2 when the Uk was being blockaded by AXIS forces and we were ploughing up millions of acres of pasture to grow cereals, the Uk still had to import large amounts of wheat, again from canada, please comment if you know whever we can or cant grow enought wheat of the right quality to make bread?


We only try to grow bread making Wheat - which we have done for many years now.

Last year 76% of Wheat in UK milling was UK Wheat. Over 87% the year before. I posted this last Week or so.

A third of ALL super market products have flour in them.



1647101103517.png
 

holwellcourtfarm

Member
NFFN Member
We only try to grow bread making Wheat - which we have done for many years now.

Last year 76% of Wheat in UK milling was UK Wheat. Over 87% the year before. I posted this last Week or so.

A third of ALL super market products have flour in them.



View attachment 1022313
The only flour with fibre in is wholemeal.

There isn't much nutrition in flour either, just plenty of calories.

Makes me wonder how accurate the rest of that piece is as well...... :unsure:
 
The issue under the current situation is the high price of nitrogen to feed the wheat to make protein so it is high enough to make good bread

the uk is better off concentrating on growing soft wheat which can make other products from lower protein
the uk climate is more suited to growing this type 0f wheat
 

glasshouse

Member
Location
lothians
The issue under the current situation is the high price of nitrogen to feed the wheat to make protein so it is high enough to make good bread

the uk is better off concentrating on growing soft wheat which can make other products from lower protein
the uk climate is more suited to growing this type 0f wheat
Thats fine in theory
Bread wheat should be grown where possible In case the worst happens.
 

Make Tax Digital Software Poll

  • Quickbooks

    Votes: 34 16.2%
  • Sage

    Votes: 20 9.5%
  • Xero

    Votes: 97 46.2%
  • Other

    Votes: 59 28.1%

Man fined £300 for bonfire-related waste offences

  • 249
  • 0
Written by William Kellett from Agriland

court-640x360.jpg
A man has pleaded guilty at Newtownards Magistrates’ Court to waste offences relating to a bonfire next to the electrical sub-station on the Circular Road in Newtownards, Co. Down.

Gareth Gill (51) of Abbot’s Walk, Newtownards pleaded guilty to two charges under the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997, for which he was fined £150 each and ordered to pay a £15 offender’s levy

On June 25, 2018, PSNI officers went to Gill’s yard, where they found a large amount of waste consisting of scrap wood, pallets, carpet and underlay.

Discussion with Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) officers confirmed the site...
Top