How much Soya would be grown

Swarfmonkey

Member
Location
Hampshire
Having had a look at soybean and soybean oil production figures from SOPA for last year you'd need 80% of what's currently grown just to keep up with the demand for soybean oil. Then you have to factor in replacement for animal sourced fats and proteins, so that means you'd still need the other 20%. All in all, I don't think you'd see any reduction from not having livestock around.
 

Raider112

Member
Having had a look at soybean and soybean oil production figures from SOPA for last year you'd need 80% of what's currently grown just to keep up with the demand for soybean oil. Then you have to factor in replacement for animal sourced fats and proteins, so that means you'd still need the other 20%. All in all, I don't think you'd see any reduction from not having livestock around.
That was sort of the way I was thinking without any figures to back it up. If true it needs to be put out there for all to see.
 

Swarfmonkey

Member
Location
Hampshire
Price of soybean oil would go up to compensate for the byproduct's lack of value. It's not like demand for the oil is going to disappear, it's the second most used veg oil on the planet with 60 million tons of the stuff being produced last year.
 

Daddy Pig

Member
Location
dorset
Main use for soya is soya oil for human consumption. I guess there would be less demand for soya as there wouldn't be any chicken to fry to create fried chicken but then maybe humans would eat more chips :scratchhead:.
Don't know about other brands but KFC is baked in an oven, not fried in oil.
 

DaveGrohl

Member
Location
Cumbria
Price of soybean oil would go up to compensate for the byproduct's lack of value. It's not like demand for the oil is going to disappear, it's the second most used veg oil on the planet with 60 million tons of the stuff being produced last year.
And sadly it's one of the worst oils/fats there is for human health. 54% omega 6 but only 8% omega 3. Thankfully it's not used that much in processed crap manufacture in this country. Sadly the US punter isn't so lucky.
 

delilah

Member
Lots of interesting stuff on there. I suppose the vegan lobby would point to the author's links to agriculture but it all seems genuine enough.

And that is the crux of it. Richard Young represents the middle ground. Many farmers would regard him as a 'greenie', vegans would regard him as 'the enemy'. The rational thinking majority of the public would regard him as entirely sensible.
 

CHAP Webinar - Innovative tools to overcome the challenges of Regen Ag

  • 256
  • 0
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F186160299%2F486662465563%2F1%2Foriginal.20211115-160823


Applying principles of regen ag can incur a range of on-farm challenges. Learn how innovative tools & machinery can help with these hurdles.

This event will be held online from 1pm to 2pm on Thursday 2nd December 2021 so please block it out in your diary.

About this event​

Intro
This...
Top