Independent Connection Provider for 3-phase Electric Supply

Worcspete

New Member
I've got a quote from Western Power for a new, three-phase electric supply to my grain store. About 20% of the quote value has to be done by them, but I can get an approved Independent Connection Provider to quote for the other 80%. Has anyone any recommendations for companies they have used to do this, within the Western Power area? Western Power has a list of 55 approved companies, but I know nothing about any of them, and they may not all cover my area (Worcestershire). Otherwise I've a lot of phoning / emailing to do! Thanks in advance.
 
Assume this is a simple connection to one building I would be surprised if there was any saving bringing in another contractor. Big enough hassle working with the power company then your leccy supplier to install a meter without adding another company
Now if you were doing a housing estate that would be different
 

br jones

Member
i just had western power move a cable from above to below ground into a repositioned meter box,
was told byWP man fit this size box 750 x592 because we a now fitting 3 ph as standard,and they did ? no difference in cost
 

linga

Member
Location
Ceredigion
WPD had to pay us when they didn’t get quote to us in time. Think came to around 10k. Then they decided they had to move the substation and had to requote. Funnily enough it came to about £10k more !
Querying any of the costs just got the reply “ do you want it or not “.
oh well !!!
 

Worcspete

New Member
Assume this is a simple connection to one building I would be surprised if there was any saving bringing in another contractor. Big enough hassle working with the power company then your leccy supplier to install a meter without adding another company
Now if you were doing a housing estate that would be different
Thanks. I thought this would be the case, but anything to try and reduce a few tens of thousands bill.
 

Worcspete

New Member
I tried this on a big project, about 90k in value, asked 2 independents expecting big savings, both were more expensive.

I was gutted as on the 2nd quote adjustment they added 20k on because they ‘forgot a bit’ on the previous.
I've had a look at some of the 'approved' companies and they all seem to be massive companies that probably wouldn't want to be assed with a job costing merely a few tens of thousands, which is my case.
 

Worcspete

New Member
WPD had to pay us when they didn’t get quote to us in time. Think came to around 10k. Then they decided they had to move the substation and had to requote. Funnily enough it came to about £10k more !
Querying any of the costs just got the reply “ do you want it or not “.
oh well !!!
It's supposed to be a competitive market, and it's not that at all in reality, is it?
 

solo

Member
Location
worcestershire
Is Pete Hirons from Droitwich on the approved list as he does cable trenching etc for power cables? Have a look at his website. He bored some ducts for me recently under a road so I’m happy to recommend.
 

Worcspete

New Member
Is Pete Hirons from Droitwich on the approved list as he does cable trenching etc for power cables? Have a look at his website. He bored some ducts for me recently under a road so I’m happy to recommend.
Thank you. He's not on the list, but I will contact him. Western Power want to dig up the road (9 foot wide),involving a £2000 road closure, which I would have bored under. One problem is that WPD won't let you mix and match from their quotes, so unless Pete Hirons can do all the work required then he can't just bore under road.
 

Latest Poll on TFF

  • Yes

    Votes: 22 14.9%
  • No

    Votes: 126 85.1%

JCB launches Fastrac ‘iCon’

  • 174
  • 0
Written by Charlotte Cunningham from CPM Magazine

JCB has launched new Fastrac 4000 and 8000 Series tractors with an all-new electronics infrastructure which is claimed to deliver higher levels of performance. According to JCB, the new Fastrac iCon operator environment has three key features: iConfigure – creating a bespoke control experience for every operator iConnect – integrating advanced precision agriculture technology iControl – redefining operation through new driveline software The 175hp to 348hp (133kW to 260kW) Fastracs feature the new iCon armrest console and touch-screen display to provide flexibility in operator allocation and operator information, as well as a new transmission control strategy to enhance operator comfort and powertrain efficiency, says the manufacturer...
Top