nitrogen application

Discussion in 'Cropping' started by Hfd Cattle, Feb 4, 2019.

  1. B'o'B

    B'o'B Member

    Me too!
    Renaultman likes this.
  2. Wombat

    Wombat Member

    East yorks
    We've had a lot of wet an miserable years over the last decade bout time we had a few drier ones
    David. likes this.
  3. 4course

    4course Member

    north yorks
    the early N has certainly done its job , though we could do with a drink at least non has gone down the drains as theve not been running
  4. Godber

    Godber Member

    NW Essex
    Got a third of our nitrogen (AN) to put on the WW's. What urea we put on 3 weeks ago has not had anymore than 5mm's of rain and I imagine its still too near the surface for the wheats to access most of it. But the wheat's moving forward and at least if its on it will be available when it does rain. Anyone finished their wheats?
  5. Zippy768

    Zippy768 Member

    Another 10 days/2 weeks till last app on ww. Haven't finished the WB N yet:oops:
  6. Heathland

    Heathland Member

    Yes all finished here,its no good in the bag,really need rain here,but there is nothing in the forecast.
    Godber and Oh bullocks like this.
  7. robbie

    robbie Member

    the brecks norfolk
    Finished spring and winter barley on 27/3 and put the balance of 100 units acre as urea on to wheat by the 5th April. we had 8 mm on the 7th which was a god send.

    I would have held off abit but being urea it can go on a bit sooner and the 7th was the only chance in the forcast we might get some rain so I went for it and i am very pleased I did.
    robs1, Godber and Oh bullocks like this.
  8. Shutesy

    Shutesy Moderator

    Some folks have all the luck :rolleyes: dont think we've had 7mm in 1 day for months!!
    Last of the solid on the OSR over 2 weeks ago can still be seen on the surface. All N on W and S barley and last doses were liquid so hopefully wont need so much rain to wash it in. 2nd dose on wheat was also liquid. Last dose, 1/3 of total N also liquid, still to go on probably fairly soon so any rain we may get can get to wash it in. Cant afford to miss that chance! Fudging dry!!!
    Godber likes this.
  9. robbie

    robbie Member

    the brecks norfolk
    Its fudging dry here too and we've been very fortunate to have had 8mm as mentioned as well as another 10 or 12mm a fortnight before. I dread to think what things would be like here now if we'd missed it, this land needs a inch a week really.

    Curiously I was speaking to a amatuar weather man who lives only a few miles away and his records show March as being average for rain fall.

    It's very worrying which ever way the weather goes from here, If it stays dry were fudged and if it turns wet and puts water levels back to "normal" were also fudged.
    Shutesy, Flat 10 and Godber like this.
  10. Godber

    Godber Member

    NW Essex
    YR are forecasting a few mm's in a weeks time so think i'll put the final third on this week. Seems crazy that we are in the frame of mind that this drought may carry on but it is driving our decision. I belief research shows that the rain needs to be biblical to cause leaching at this stage.
    Shutesy and snipe like this.
  11. warksfarmer

    warksfarmer Member

    Wheat has had N1 with N2 due next week.
    OSR has had N1 and N2.
    Rye is done
    Grass is done
    ollie989898 likes this.
  12. Flat 10

    Flat 10 Member

    Fen Edge
    N2 of 2? On ww? Or an n3 to come for protein?
  13. warksfarmer

    warksfarmer Member

    N1 70kg
    N2 70kg
    N3 70kg

    Then possibly a protein spray in June if we think there’s milking potential. If it doesn’t rain soon then all the N will go into protein anyway and not yield so it won’t be required.
    Hereward and Flat 10 like this.
  14. Flat 10

    Flat 10 Member

    Fen Edge
    So you have a strategy of going fairly late with your yield building N. Why do you do it this way? You must think it works well for you.
  15. warksfarmer

    warksfarmer Member

    Farm by the crop not the calendar is as complicated as it gets.
    ollie989898, parker, Clive and 3 others like this.
  16. I tend to go early with my N. All done and dusted on all crops 10 days ago (yorkshire).

    Am I correct in thinking that @warksfarmer tends to use lower/cheaper fungicide programmes?

    If early N produces thick canopies which creates somewhere for fungal growth to proliferate, up to now it has maybe been OK because fungicides have been effective.

    BUT, if fingicide efficacy reduces, then maybe I may need to re-evaluate what I do in future. Shifting from large early doses to something more like warksfarmer's programme might be the way to go.

    I won't like making this change, as I feel that building lots of biomass early helps on my drought prone soils. But I may need to change in the future.
    Flat 10 likes this.
  17. warksfarmer

    warksfarmer Member

    Not just fungicides as it’s all inputs as far as we can. Aiming for a total input cost under £40/tonne sold.
    I wouldn't say the fertiliser plan is connected to this though. It’s generally 210kg N and 100kg S applies in equal amounts roughly 30 days apart.
    Grass And Grain likes this.
  18. Flat 10

    Flat 10 Member

    Fen Edge
    Similar here, I agree with you
    Clive likes this.
  19. JCfarmer

    JCfarmer Member

    Going to start applying the balance of N on wheats tomorrow I think, even the later drilled more backward wheat. Who knows when we will next get rain!(hoping thursday)
    Clive likes this.
  20. Clive

    Clive Staff Member

    If ever there has been a year I’ve been glad of going early with N this is it so far

    Just mid way though n3 now - only another 40kg of urea to go at milky ripe if enough rain between now and then to potentially dilute protein with yield

Share This Page