Some help please

Discussion in 'Agricultural Matters' started by shearerlad, Jan 10, 2019.

  1. shearerlad

    shearerlad Member

    Looking for some advice from the TFF collective.

    A few years ago I did some work for a guy but I still haven’t been paid.

    He is based in one of the southern counties of England, so I drove a round trip of over 1000 miles, so fuel and wear on my vehicle and the wearing parts of my tools that I used during my time there. Also the living expenses are higher living away from home.

    During the 3 weeks I had a number of compliments from him and his customers about the high standard of my work.
    When the work was completed, we checked the work sheets to make sure that both his and mine balanced. He wrote a cheque for the agreed amount and handed it over with an handshake, another compliment about my work and an offer of work the following year.

    I drove home and banked the cheque on Monday morning, by Thursday is back in the mail with a red stamp saying PAYMENT STOPPED. I tried numerous times to phone and text him but no reply.

    What do I do?
  2. Zippy768

    Zippy768 Member

    How many years ago?
  3. willy

    willy Member

    Small claim court?
    roscoe erf likes this.
  4. spin cycle

    spin cycle Member

    north norfolk
    forget it's been to havn't missed it....JMO sorry:)
  5. shearerlad

    shearerlad Member


    I’ve got an order through the small claims but not getting anywhere.

    TBH the money, although it would be great to get it, isn’t the main issue. It’s the principle of it. I worked for him, worked hard too I’ll add, and in good faith that I would get paid.
    Dyffryn, Al R, capfits and 6 others like this.
  6. delilah

    delilah Member

    name him on here. Just for the satisfaction.
  7. Zippy768

    Zippy768 Member

    11 years ago? Let it go.
    Should of pursued earlier
    ollie989898, neilo and spin cycle like this.
  8. Exfarmer

    Exfarmer Member

    Bury St Edmunds
    Stopping a cheque for no good reason is illegal. I fear you may have left it too long if you want the police to do anything. I would go small claims as long as there is no time limit
    Clive and ollie989898 like this.
  9. shearerlad

    shearerlad Member

    I’ve got an order against him, problem being that in England the order has to be hand delivered and signed for by the debtor unlike up here where it can be put through the door.
  10. Shutesy

    Shutesy Moderator

    Why the heck have you waited almost 11 years!!!
    fred.950, Err0l, TripleSix and 11 others like this.
  11. connor454545

    connor454545 Member

  12. An Gof

    An Gof Member

    11 years :eek: do you know if he is still in business?
    You’re not in a strong position. Free advice from CAB perhaps?
    ollie989898 and shearerlad like this.
  13. shearerlad

    shearerlad Member

    Iirc small claims order lasts 30 years. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

    The order was started within a couple of months of the cheque being stopped. I’ve certainly not waited 11 years to start chasing this up!
    neilo, Al R, spin cycle and 1 other person like this.
  14. These facts are not complete and it is difficult to see exactly how far the process has gone.
    There may well be limitation problems.
    I suggest you consult a debt recovery solicitor in the country where you have the order.
    Debts should be collected as soon as your credit period has passed, they never improve with keeping.
    JCMaloney and Exfarmer like this.
  15. Over six years & it’s time barred , basically meaning that you have no claim on your debt .
    Kevtherev, JCMaloney and Kiwi Pete like this.
  16. Rob-B

    Rob-B Member

    Start a winding up order? Usually makes them pay up or start playing ball.
    czechmate likes this.
  17. Northeastfarmer

    11 years ago...he might of snuffed it by now
  18. Dry Rot

    Dry Rot Member

    But is crime time limited? I'm not so sure that it is. Report to plod and get an incident number. Then stand back and see what happens. If they say it's been too long, mumble about the complaints procedure and ask for the appropriate complaints form? Has this gone through court and has there been a decision? Send in the bailiffs? Escalate to the High Court? There are solicitors who will give advice for free.

    I feel bound to say this sounds like one of those questions they ask at college!
    suma likes this.
  19. Kiwi Pete

    Kiwi Pete Member

    Owaka, New Zealand
    But you can still hope an anvil drops on him.
    Or a piano! :angelic:
  20. nick...

    nick... Member

    south norfolk
    Sell the dept
    S J H likes this.

Share This Page