1. Did you know we are on Twitter too? @TheFarmingForum
  2. Welcome to The Farming Forum!

    Why not take a second to register? Your account will be active instantly. We are not fussy about your email address either - everyone is welcome!
  3. Introducing the TFF Member Map!

    You can now see the location of thousands of TFF members plotted on a map of the world here: http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/usermap
    The location is taken from the location in your user profile. If you are in the wrong place you will need to update your location to be more descriptive (ie. 'Lincolnshire, UK' instead of just 'Lincs').

upper age limit to drive a tractor???

Discussion in 'Agricultural Matters' started by Dave W, Nov 19, 2013.

  1. Wombat

    Wombat Member

    East yorks
    I believe the definition of close coupled is that the distance between the centre of the axles must be less than 840mm which rules out a lot of ag trailers, I am sure someone will be along to deny, confirm this :)
  2. Dukes Fit

    Dukes Fit Member

    Close coupled is 1000mm which still isn't a lot. Just read up on the rules and regs.
    Have they been changed or have they always been the same because if so I should never have even been allowed to sit my test in the tractor I used! Maximum unladen weight must not exceed 2550kg

    Apologies to @Exfarmer and @Simon Chiles. You're right boys.
  3. Wombat

    Wombat Member

    East yorks
    I believe they have always been like this but who knows, it's a minefield anyway :)
  4. Simon Chiles

    Simon Chiles DD Moderator

    This is correct, which is why I said an Ifor type trailer just so people got an idea of the size I meant.

    As for the Quad Trac, the argument is that it's not steered by it's tracks and therefore doesn't need a Cat. H licence. However nobody has yet tested this in court yet so the reality is it is a grey area. If you want to be sure it's probably best to get a Cat. H licence.
  5. Teejay

    Teejay Member

    Romney Marsh
    The funny thing is that father (83) is the only one with H on his licence as it was added when he passed his car test, long before rubber tracks were thought about and the crawler had to be loaded because of steel tracks. I understand the difference between quadtracs and chalengers for dvla was the steering systems, ie one steers with brakes and one pivots.
  6. Exfarmer

    Exfarmer Member

    Bury St Edmunds
    You are quite correct that you can drive a tracked machine at the age of 17 if less than 3.5 tonnes but I think you still need Cat H hitch can be passed at 17
    Note if you are in the Army you can drive any tracklayer ie chieftain tank at 17
    The ruling about steering by its tracks is meant to allow people to drive half tracks which steer as in normal car
    Or even a tracked combine which definitely cannot does not need Cat H but probably cannot be taken on road til you are 21
  7. defender

    defender Member

    the rules about tracked machines , yes you can drive tracked machines up to 3500 kg at 17 but it is only a provisional entitlement until you pass category H . This still only permits driving tracked vehicles up to 3500 kg until the age of 21 with regard to agricultural vehicles .
    The rules appear to be quite plain regarding agricultural tractors
    17 - 21 years include Agricultural tractors PROVIDED that it not a track laying vehicle
    quad track can be driven on a category B but the restriction to being over 21 applies if it is an agricultural tractor
  8. gone up the hill

    What about trailers/ wide machinery for tractors and if they are under 21???
  9. Exfarmer

    Exfarmer Member

    Bury St Edmunds
    The rules for wide machinery on an agricultural tractor are the same from 17 to 117

Share This Page