Farming Innovation Programme – research starter pilot - EoI Round 2Farming, growing or forestry businesses based in England can apply for a share of up to £1 million for feasibility projects. This is an expression of interest competition.
- Competition opens: Monday 23 May 2022
- Competition closes: Wednesday 6 July 2022 11:00am
The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) will work with UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), to invest up to £1million in innovation projects.
The funding for this competition is part of Defra’s Farming Innovation Programme which is delivered in partnership with UKRI’s Transforming Food Production Challenge.
This is an expression of interest (EoI) competition. If your application is successful, you will be invited to apply to a full stage competition.
This two stage competition is designed to make funding accessible to a wider range of applicants. Applicants that are successful in the EoI stage will be able to access independent support to help them complete the full application stage. The full stage will open in August 2022.
The aim of this competition is to:
- investigate early-stage solutions with the potential to substantially improve overall productivity, sustainability, resilience and move existing agricultural sectors to net zero
- prioritise solutions that have positive outputs for farmers, growers or foresters in commercially relevant situations
- accelerate development of effective new agricultural solutions by working with end-users and collaborating with the wider UK research community in the innovation process
In applying to this competition, you are entering into a competitive process. This competition closes at 11am UK time on the deadline stated.
Project sizeProject cost details are not required at the EoI stage. At the full application stage your total project costs must be between £28,000 and £56,000.
Who can apply
If your application is successful in this EoI stage, you will be invited to apply for a full stage competition. In the full stage you must collaborate with other eligible partners.
Your full stage project must:
- have total project costs between £28,000 and £56,000
- start by 1 April 2023
- end by 31 March 2024
- last up to 12 months
- carry out all of its project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results from or in England
- have a minimum of 50% of any grant requested by farmers, growers or foresters, allocated to farmers, growers or foresters based in England
Applicants receiving this type of support must ensure that there is minimal to no distortion of trade and comply with the requirements of Annex 2 of the Agriculture Agreement.
Under current restrictions, this competition will not fund any procurement, commercial, business development or supply chain activity with any Russian entity as lead, partner or subcontractor. This includes any goods or services originating from a Russian source.
To lead a project your organisation must:
- be an active farming, growing or forestry business of any size based in England
- be able to evidence that you are an established business, including sole traders and partnerships
- have a UK bank account
- not have been awarded Innovate UK funding as a project lead within the last 5 years before 6 July 2022
Number of applications
A business can only lead on one EoI application.