Bringing open days and events online
The NIAB stand at the Cereals Event is known for providing the latest technical advice and research in variety choice, independent agronomy, soil and rotation management, crop genetics and data science.
Plot-based videos, webinars, downloadable guides, topic sheets and information posters
- Variety demonstration plots – video footage from 32 established and candidate wheat varieties (treated and untreated), 24 winter oilseed rape varieties, and information on spring oilseed rape, linseed, peas and beans;
- The Soil Pit – focusing on rotational choices and comparing above and below ground crop growth including linseed, naked oats, herbal leys and companion cropping;
- Crop protection and nutrition advice including new fungicide chemistry, new strategies and a comparison of wheat fungicide options;
- Research and information on rotations, cultivations, tillage and soil management, including a look at alternative break crops to oilseed rape;
- Risk factors for weed control in oilseed rape and cereals – including blackgrass, rye brome and broad-leaved weeds;
- Plant disease research and new diagnostic techniques
- NIAB crop research; using new plant breeding tools and technologies to help shape the future of our crops, including nitrogen use efficiency. From GM to gene-editing, re-synthesis to MAGIC – our demonstration plots show how wheat breeding research, and the use of new techniques, is improving the yield, efficiency and resilience of global crop production.
Technical Director Bill Clark showcases some of the plots that were planned for the NIAB stand at the 2020 Cereals Event site, with more detailed plot tours with demonstrators available by video on the Cereals Live and NIAB Virtual Event Hub websites