Proving a need for farm worker to live on site

Discussion in 'Rural Diversification' started by Cazza, Nov 8, 2017.

  1. Forever Fendt

    Forever Fendt Member

    Lets hope not
  2. Greenbeast

    Greenbeast Member

    East Sussex
    We'll be applying for our permanent permission next spring I think
  3. Mate of mine is a contractor, owns 20 acres that he built some Ag sheds on years ago and has added to them over the years.
    It took him 5 years but he has just built a 4 bed house with granny flat ,and he already owned a house but 6 miles away from land.
    He argued that he ran his business from the buildings and served all the farms roundabout.
    Cost 200k to build he says but must be worth 400k plus now finished, the best investment he will ever make.
  4. Forever Fendt

    Forever Fendt Member

    Good website by the way(y)
    Greenbeast likes this.
  5. Cazza

    Cazza New Member

    Sorry not been on for a while
    Thanks for all your replies. We are planning on putting up 2 cattle barns and a workshop/ stable block. We have invested our life savings in the enterprise and have pedigree stock and will when we get the pigs too.
    I’m going to speak to a specialist in this field in the area we are (Huntingdonshire) as we want to do this all the correct way but are desperate to get the cattle sheds up as our cattle calve all year as we run our own bull with our cows.
    I’m frustrated with a lot of the people that think we just want a house to make money. Hell we just want somewhere to sleep, eat and bath and be close to the animals so we can care for them and keep them safe ( again had a calf out this morning).
    Along with a stallion on the yard we feel it’s safer for the animals and general public if we are on site to ensure if there is a problem we can deal with it immediately not at least half an hour journey away
    GeorgieB82 and Forever Fendt like this.
  6. S J H

    S J H Member

    If that's cases then I'd only apply for a 180sq. M 2 bed house.
    Cazza likes this.
  7. I applaud you for your determination and mindset to do this. It sounds like you are intent on doing it by the book and I hope you find a specialist to fight your case.
    One other thing to consider, I'm not sure if it would suit your circumstances but how about applying for a 3 year temporary permission to site a mobile home. Live in it for 3 years and by that point you will have had chance to compile enough evidence to proved how vital it is to live on site and then either renew the permission for a permanent siting or go in for permission for the house at that point.
    Once you have been living there it should make making a case easier.
    Greenbeast, Cazza and Dry Rot like this.
  8. Cazza

    Cazza New Member

    I would be happy with a caravan and we are stating this on the application but as it’s a flood zone 3 ( right on the blooming edge tho) any permanent building would have to be 2 story.
  9. static

    static Member

    They will almost certainly require you to have a caravan for a couple of years anyway. The very fact it is on the edge of a flood zone means this will almost certainly be mentioned by *anyone* who objects.
    Greenbeast likes this.
  10. In my opinion bot you and the planners would be daft to allow a house to be built in a known flood zone.
    Don't waste your money on a bad site.
  11. Ouch! Flood Zone 3 is a nightmare to achieve any sort of residential development and mobile homes are non starters. West Kent is a flood zone nightmare and that is where most of my work is!
  12. theboytheboy

    theboytheboy Member

    How do flood zones work? We have a potential development site and on maps it is in flood a zone 2. However it's an old gravel pit and has never held any water in the 35 years we have been here and probably longer. It's currently has light industrial on it and we are considering the permitted development opportunity.
  13. Forever Fendt

    Forever Fendt Member

    Could get a house boat that would solve the problem
    theboytheboy and S J H like this.
  14. Would the 'opposition' consider keeping livestock in a flood zone to be 'cruel'?
  15. S J H

    S J H Member

    Dig a lake, Buy a hull for the house, build and live, then drain the lake :whistle:
  16. I think @holwellcourtfarm might be able to explain it easier but as I understand it from a planning point of view; Flood Zone 1 is fine for all developments, Flood Zone 2 can be developed on but must be supported with a flood risk assessment plan and flood mitigation measures must be considered.
    Flood Zone 3 is not suitable for residential developments, is at a high risk of flooding and all developments must have rigorous flood mitigation plans, flood assessments and consultation with the Environment Agency.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    theboytheboy likes this.
  17. Chasingmytail

    Chasingmytail Member

    Newport, SE Wales
    we had a nightmare getting a farm cottage on 250acres and fully stocked at the time. ADAS did our report over 13yrs ago. 2 bed bungalow. 20 acres I feel very little hope as every one would be doing it. I know nothing about flood zones.
    GeorgieB82 likes this.
  18. Billboy1

    Billboy1 Member

    If possible get your local vet to write a supporting letter regarding welfare
    Nearly likes this.
  19. Pasty

    Pasty Member

    Flood zones can be changed. Has it flooded recently? If you can provide sound evidence, they will be amended. My house was in a flood zone and has never, ever flooded. In fact, if it did, many people down stream would be 200ft under water. We got it changed. So have a look at that and don't just accept the maps as gospel. Challenge them if need be. That may be the first port of call.

    In terms of planning, you need a sound reason why you need to be there 24/7. So create that reason and be able to completely prove it, without doubt. A temp caravan is usually the best stepping stone to a proper PP but I have seen houses go up on bare sites. Viability of the business is another factor but that should not be too hard with some pro assistance.

    A lot depends on your authority. National parks for instance are very hard work. But if you really are serious, you mean it and you get the right help on board, you will get there in the end.
    theboytheboy and GeorgieB82 like this.
  20. theboytheboy

    theboytheboy Member

    Interesting about changing flood zone maps.
    We are just inside national park but I'm not looking at the argument that I need the house. It's a new permitted development came in Oct 1st for light industrial to residential. So I need to look into if this applies in national parks.
    It's not the end of the world as if it's not an option I will refurb and continue to let as industrial units

Share This Page