Red Tractor Irrigation requirement section help

Currently updating my red tractor farm assurance records for Combinable crops / Sugar beet and not sure about the Irrigation section. Obviously an abstraction licence, calibrated meter, daily / weekly records is required which is ok. They also require a water sample to be tested by an approved lab. This seems a bit crazy as we irrigate out of a flowing drain so water quality could alter on a daily basis. Do people get the water tested and if so who with and what sort of cost please?
Also they require a water management plan. I am only an occasional irrigator (not doing veg) so doesn’t really justify a plan to tell me soil moisture deficits etc.. If the crop looks like it is getting desperate for water then I will give it between 0.75 to 1 inch/ acre. What do people do for a basic plan to keep the inspectors happy. TIA


I expect you use an evaporometer (bucket of water by backdoor where the dog cannot drink from it) to measure daily evapotranspiration and thus calculate irrigation needs.

Latest Poll on TFF

  • Yes

    Votes: 22 15.1%
  • No

    Votes: 124 84.9%

JCB launches Fastrac ‘iCon’

  • 135
  • 0
Written by Charlotte Cunningham from CPM Magazine

JCB has launched new Fastrac 4000 and 8000 Series tractors with an all-new electronics infrastructure which is claimed to deliver higher levels of performance. According to JCB, the new Fastrac iCon operator environment has three key features: iConfigure – creating a bespoke control experience for every operator iConnect – integrating advanced precision agriculture technology iControl – redefining operation through new driveline software The 175hp to 348hp (133kW to 260kW) Fastracs feature the new iCon armrest console and touch-screen display to provide flexibility in operator allocation and operator information, as well as a new transmission control strategy to enhance operator comfort and powertrain efficiency, says the manufacturer...