Where is the Dairy Industry heading ?

westwards

Member
With all the climate change bofins pointing the finger at farmers and cow fart etc etc, new rules on slurry and air quality we as an industry are in for a rough ride for the next few years.
Who is going to feed the nation if these so called experts get their way and cut ALL livestock numbers by 30%, who is fighting our corner and the politicians who all want to jump on the bandwagon with any chance they get to repeat all the climate buzwords?
 

delilah

Member
who is fighting our corner

On farming today this morning they issued an apology. Evidently they had said earlier in the week that a cow produced a 1t of methane. Some chap from Cranfield University had been on to them and said it was actually 1t of co2 equivalent of methane. Which begged two questions: 1) Why had it taken someone from Cranfield to contact them, rather than a farming representative ? 2) Who is going to contact them and put them properly straight on the whole methane from cows bollox ?
All of the rest of your post stems from that. You have no representation.
 

Bald Rick

Moderator
Livestock Farmer
Location
Anglesey
On farming today this morning they issued an apology. Evidently they had said earlier in the week that a cow produced a 1t of methane. Some chap from Cranfield University had been on to them and said it was actually 1t of co2 equivalent of methane. Which begged two questions: 1) Why had it taken someone from Cranfield to contact them, rather than a farming representative ? 2) Who is going to contact them and put them properly straight on the whole methane from cows bollox ?
All of the rest of your post stems from that. You have no representation.

Too busy pulling tits and trying to keep the wolf from the door for most of us

(I would also direct your attention to my thread in Agricultural Matters on the Times Leader. There is a very strong anti livestock movement developing )
 

bigw

Member
Location
Scotland
Well it will do seeing as the industry has spent the last x years holding its hand in the air and squealing "Guilty as charged". Every day that goes by with the NFU, the AHDB et al saying that cows are causing climate change, is a day closer to your demise.

NFU and AHDB dont say that cows are causing climate change but are working with the reduction targets set out by our government. You seem to have a real anger towards them which doesnt really help with the debate. Agriculture is such an easy target as we have a fragmented supply base with no united voice unfortunately.
 

delilah

Member

delilah

Member
And a quick scan of their website suggests they have taken the below graphic down. Just as well I saved it. They should never, ever have gone down this line of pleading guilty on climate change. If they have taken it down because of a change in tactics, then great.

ahdb.jpg
 

delilah

Member
Are the NFU similarly going to change tactics ? Because until now their line has been the same as the AHDB
"Yes, we know cows are destroying the planet, sorry, there are less of them than there was, and they aren't as bad as foreign cows, and we will change their diet to reduce their burps, please bear with us. Sorry again".
 

tepapa

Member
Livestock Farmer
Location
North Wales
And a quick scan of their website suggests they have taken the below graphic down. Just as well I saved it. They should never, ever have gone down this line of pleading guilty on climate change. If they have taken it down because of a change in tactics, then great.

View attachment 958107
If they plan to go down this route, they should say, apparently agriculture is producing 5% of UK's co2 which means the other 95% is caused by your heating, your transport, your foreign holidays, manufacturing of the products you use and constructing the houses you live in, unnecessary products you buy or a change in fashion.
 

delilah

Member
If they plan to go down this route, they should say, apparently agriculture is producing 5% of UK's co2 which means the other 95% is caused by your heating, your transport, your foreign holidays, manufacturing of the products you use and constructing the houses you live in, unnecessary products you buy or a change in fashion.

It looks like they have abandoned that '5% of the problem' line. Quite right to. We can leave the polluters to slug that one out among themselves.
 

Make Tax Digital Software Poll

  • Quickbooks

    Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Sage

    Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Xero

    Votes: 91 46.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 54 27.3%

Man fined £300 for bonfire-related waste offences

  • 167
  • 0
Written by William Kellett from Agriland

court-640x360.jpg
A man has pleaded guilty at Newtownards Magistrates’ Court to waste offences relating to a bonfire next to the electrical sub-station on the Circular Road in Newtownards, Co. Down.

Gareth Gill (51) of Abbot’s Walk, Newtownards pleaded guilty to two charges under the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997, for which he was fined £150 each and ordered to pay a £15 offender’s levy

On June 25, 2018, PSNI officers went to Gill’s yard, where they found a large amount of waste consisting of scrap wood, pallets, carpet and underlay.

Discussion with Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) officers confirmed the site...
Top