Repeats

Wee Willy

Member
Location
Tyrone
Is there anything that can be done with cows that come bulling every three weeks? Have a few cows here that just keep repeating every three weeks? Have Ai’ed them the day after the bull has served them. The gun comes out clean. They have no discharge.
They have been bulled every time since bull went out in April. Still milking ok and would like to breed them come November. Can the vet do anything?
 
Years ago I had a couple of (pedigree beef) cows that wouldn't go in calf, a while down the line after all else appeared to have failed I synchronised then using a CIDR & estrumate, and used natural service and double AI, and they both went in calf.
They were always problem breeders and weren't in the herd very long.

I was young and stupid then (as opposed to being older and stupid like I am now) and I certainly wouldn't even consider doing the likes of that now, I take cows not going in calf as them telling me they don't want to stay here any longer, so I am keen to help them on their way.
 

Rossymons

Member
Location
Cornwall
You'll always get cows that don't hold for whatever reason.

There were studies done on uterine pH a while ago. As I've heard nothing about it since I'm guessing the findings were insignificant. A vet practice in the North West made a big deal of implanting cheap embryos into problem breeders. That died a death pretty quickly too.

Whatever your reason for trying to breed them, I can guarantee you have a whole herd that are achieving your goals without any fuss.

So you have a good house built on good foundations...why waste so much time on the door handles?

What I'm saying is why waste so much on these bottom 10% cows? The other 90% are being managed just fine with significantly less of your time.
 

Scholsey

Member
Location
Herefordshire
If she is still milking well keep trying, I will carry on serving aslong as they give over 30 litres, had plenty hold at 10+ services and then get in calf first/second service next lactation.
D1858720-A196-44DB-B8D3-A18D0B94A70A.png


She is my nemesis at the moment, lovely looking animal, letting the Hereford sweep next week so he can have a go on her if/when she returns again.
D1858720-A196-44DB-B8D3-A18D0B94A70A.png
 
You'll always get cows that don't hold for whatever reason.

There were studies done on uterine pH a while ago. As I've heard nothing about it since I'm guessing the findings were insignificant. A vet practice in the North West made a big deal of implanting cheap embryos into problem breeders. That died a death pretty quickly too.

Whatever your reason for trying to breed them, I can guarantee you have a whole herd that are achieving your goals without any fuss.

So you have a good house built on good foundations...why waste so much time on the door handles?

What I'm saying is why waste so much on these bottom 10% cows? The other 90% are being managed just fine with significantly less of your time.
I told your colleague today that 10% mt this year isnt an option.....
 

Forum statistics

Threads
157,993
Messages
3,610,088
Members
39,913
Latest member
brojoy

Easy-to-use packaging makes chemical handling safer, quicker and more convenient

  • 75
  • 0
833289


ADAMA has announced the launch of a new range of easy-to-use packaging for its portfolio of herbicide, fungicide and insecticide products. Featuring design elements which are the result of feedback from farmers and sprayer operators, the new containers make it easier, quicker and safer to use ADAMA’s range of crop protection products.

The new 5-litre containers feature a standard 63mm diameter pouring neck which is now sealed with a...
Top