We pulled a lot of ragwort out of a pasture last year. It’s been sprayed for docks this year and there is still a lot of ragwort in patches . How long is it poisonous for? Cattle will be kept out for 7 days anyway but should they be kept out longer?
I read that they have to eat 3kgs of it to poison them which seems a lot of ragwort florets to me?Unless it's really bad and there is nothing else to eat they will be fine, the amount of kgs of ragwort that have to be consumed to kill each year is huge. Stock won't readily eat it unless there are no alternatives.
It will still do damage to the liver even if it doesn't kill them. It has been proven that pulling by hand with no gloves on still gets it into the blood stream of humans. The dead plants are palatable so maybe spray after grazing insteadUnless it's really bad and there is nothing else to eat they will be fine, the amount of kgs of ragwort that have to be consumed to kill each year is huge. Stock won't readily eat it unless there are no alternatives.
Graze some sheep they will clean it up and keep on top of it + the docks tooI’ve spent half an hour yesterday and today pulling and digging up a few whilst looking round. I am going to walk the field a bit more strategically tomorrow morning and see if I can electric fence some of it off as it seems the worst bits are nearest the roadside hedge.
It’s a real PITA when we are getting short of grass.
?I know!!So is it not poisonous to sheep or being sheep are they just likely to die of something else first. After all, we all know that a sheeps main aim in life is to find a novel way to die.?
There’s usually a bit pops up here down the side of the railway line and a water course. Docks were sprayed about a month ago, there’s no sign of ragwort raising its head yet so presumably it’s much later.Spraying for docks is unlikely to coincide with the right time to spray ragwort unfortunately. Be surprised if the contractor has used a spray that will kill both.